Hello my dear friends, today I wanted to share some fashion faux pas for women over 60 but in a little of a different way. This list of fashion no-nos that I have put together is based on one overarching theme. I think it is the biggest faux pas of all, and therefore worth mentioning before we go any further. And that is, thinking that being fashionable when you’re over 60 is synonymous with looking younger.
I don’t know when being stylish began to be about looking younger, but I find it completely absurd. There is something so incredibly beyond exquisite about a woman who is truly in the moment and proud to be where she is in her life.
With that being said, there are still some basic ways that those over 60 can go wrong even when dressing their age:
1. Undergarments– Choosing seamless underwear is really important for all ages but especially after 60. As we age, a lot of the underwear marketed towards us has super noticeable seams which are of no help if we are aiming to draw less attention to our rear end. Properly fitting seamless underwear should hide quietly under our bottoms and let our hearts be seen rather than our panties.
2. Makeup- Caking on the foundation. Now I realize that makeup isn’t exactly fashion but it’s all a part of your look so I feel like I’d be neglecting an important point if I didn’t discuss it here. If you’re over 60, and you wish your skin looked like it did several years ago, then you may be tempted to cake on the foundation to get rid of fine lines or wrinkles, but this brings me back to my original theme. Be comfortable in your own skin and take pride in the years you have under your belt, the wisdom resides in the wrinkles! While there is nothing wrong with a little foundation or concealer to even your skin tone, too much is a no-no.
3. Matching everything– Contrary to what some may believe, you don’t have to match EVERYTHING to be fashionable. Your nails don’t need to match your shoes, your shoes don’t need to match your purse, etc. Rather everything should “go together.” This art of creating outfits that “go together” takes some time to understand. A great way to start doing this is by picking one patterned piece for your outfit and wearing other pieces that pick up the color scheme of the pattern.
4. Focusing on the trends– You don’t have to go out and buy clothing that is considered trendy any particular year. What’s more important? Finding clothing that you like, is flattering to you, and makes you feel good. I mentioned this in my Facebook LIVE event on fashion, if you missed it, you can watch it here.
5. Being afraid– This final faux pas is really so important. Just because you are a certain age doesn’t mean that you have to wear this or have to wear that. After 60, women can fall into a fashion rut and become afraid to try bold, new things. But, I’m here to tell you that you can and should try out new looks that appeal to you! It’s never too late to be bold and try something new, who knows you just may find a new favorite look!
If you enjoyed this story, please subscribe to my email list. Once a day, when I post a new story, you will receive it in your inbox. SUBSCRIBE HERE.
If you have something to say about fashion over 60, let’s talk! I want so much to hear your opinions and feelings. I also want you to speak up so that women our age remain visible. I think we have a responsibility to share our wisdom, don’t you? Share yours either in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.