Wisdom to pass on to the young, ambitious women in your lifeNovember 24, 2017
This blog post is dedicated to the young women of today, half my age. They are your daughters, your friend’s daughters, your granddaughters, your neighbors and even the young mother you see struggling with a rambunctious toddler in the grocery store! My daughters ask me questions often – questions about lifestyle, building confidence, beauty, careers, relationships with girlfriends, and even aging. I decided what I, as an older woman, share with the young and ambitious women of today would be an interesting read and can help you think about the life lessons you have to give these women. After all at our ages we have accrued a wealth of knowledge. You have so much wisdom for younger women and sharing is caring, darlings!
I have lived, laughed and loved. I grew up in the Midwest but raised my children in Honolulu. I was then widowed in my 40s, moved to the mainland and remarried a widower with a family of his own. Over time I have learned to “blend my blends,” as I call them (blending families). I am fortunate enough to have traveled the world. However, I have also lived through a family suicide and survived cancer. And last but not least, I started my own company in my 60s — HoneyGood.com! So, here is what I share with the young and ambitious women in my life.
Honey’s words of wisdom for younger women
- Be true to yourself. It will take time, but once you own it, it is powerful. Shine your light.
- Hoard your classic clothes. They will hold true over the years.
- If people talk about you, you know you’re interesting.
- Own your own style.
- Don’t worry about aging. Worry about being boring.
- A woman makes a marriage.
- Rid yourself of unhealthy relationships. Listen to your heart. It knows.
- Take care of your skin. Smile during the day and use products with natural oils at night.
- Have empathy. This is one of the most important characteristics a person can possess.
- Find your purpose and then go for it! You will never know unless you try.
- Your most important decision is the person you choose to marry.
- Love your life. Your hills and valleys will be great teachers.
- Family is always first.
- Do not live in the past or the future. Live in the present. It your gift.
- Be proactive about your health. It has saved my life.
- Choose like-minded girlfriends.
- When things are not going your way, say to yourself: I will see the glass half full and make lemons out of lemonade. It will put the fight in you to carry on.
What advice will you share with the young women in your life? Share your wisdom in the comments section, on Facebook or on Twitter.
*This story was originally posted in 2014, but has been updated.