How to make friends with whom you “click” after 50September 20, 2017
Making friends you click with
I was in my car at 8:45 a.m. with my pooch, Orchid. We were off to her scheduled physical therapy appointment. My mind tuned-in to wonderful incidents that occurred over the past week with girlfriends. I felt almost a divine sense of deep gratitude for my quality friends. Making friends you click with after 50 requires effort!
I have never been in a clique; tied at the hip on a daily basis like some of the women I know. Never-the-less, I know I am as close to my girlfriends as the other women who phone one another each day. I love my girlfriends who live near and who live far away. I love my ties to old friendships dating back years and to my new friends who continually enter my life. I feel our bond. Why? The moment we met, we clicked!
So, put this into your pretty little heads, darlings, It’s the click… your instinct.
At this time in life, after the age of 50, women face life changes from retirement, to moving to a new community, to divorce and unfortunately widowhood, to hours of extra time on their hands.
One facet in our repertoire that does not change: the constant and important need for friendship and companionship.
Making new friends requires skill and a plan
What is a good plan?
“Know thy self and recognize ‘your click,’ your instincts and go for it”.
This is my click:
I listen to my instincts. I know when I meet a woman if we mirror one another. We share a similarity of values, and we feel the same emotions. That does not mean we favor the same political party, have all of the same interests, like the same fashions or even are the same age. No! No! No! That would be boring, darlings.
The women in my life I ‘click’ with have these qualities. Remember, to make a list.
1. They are not a phony baloney. You know what I mean, darlings.
2. They have a vulnerable side: I am attracted to women who show their vulnerability, I think that shows confidence and strength. They show their humanness. Their human side. That creates trust, warmth, sharing. They don’t keep their arms close to their chest. My relationships with my friends are a two- way street.
3. They are warm, empathetic, share information and walk on the sunny side of the street.
4. Resonance: Everything about them from the twinkle in their eye, to an adventuresome spirit, to their intelligence and honesty and their ability to be tuned is important to me.
5. They are givers. They are happy for me. They speak out their thoughts giving me real advice, not always what I want to hear, darlings, but rather what they know is best for me.
6. They are adventuresome. They do not live in a box but encompass all aspects that life has to offer and surround themselves with positivity that shines like a halo over their head.
All of my close girlfriends have the above qualities. I am so lucky. I am grateful.
I sometimes make a mistake in my choice. I am disappointed, but I move on and do the very thing I taught you to do in one of my musings. Remember? Just delete.
Now, please, charge ahead with positivity and listen to your ‘click,’ your instinct, and while continuing to love your old friends from afar, plunge into making new friends with a vengeance.