Summer is officially in full swing, and I’m sure you have been spending a lot of time in your air conditioning with this heatwave! However, if you venture out to stay cool, I know you have been lounging by the pool or at the beach with your friends and family. Now, if you’re like me, you make your swimwear just as fashionable as your clothing. From your swimsuit to your cover-up, you look divine at any time!
And darling, if you’ve been reading my blog this past month, you know I’ve shared some of my favorite swimwear, summer hats and handbags, sunscreen, UV protective clothing, and now I want to share some stylish swimsuit cover-ups and beachwear for this summer.
The History of Swimwear
In classical antiquity and medieval times, swimming was either done in the nude or with a little strip of clothing covering your groin area. It wasn’t until the middle ages and into the 17th and 18th centuries that we saw bathing gowns and swimwear introduced. However, the swimsuit that we know today wasn’t readily made or available until 1921. After the First World War, knitted swimwear was introduced, and then in 1940 Dior introduced his ‘New Look’ which consisted of nipped-in waists and full skirts, accentuating the female form. From there, the fashion of the swimsuit only evolved and changed into what we know today.
The Swimsuit Cover-Up
The cover-up has of course been used to protect the modesty of women. However, in current fashion, not only can they still be used to keep modesty and even wear a swimsuit in a more public fashion (like out to a beachside dinner after a day on the beach), but they are used to complete a look and remain stylish while enjoying the pool, ocean, boating and beyond. Let’s take a look at some options that are both stylish and functional.
A Dress to Cover-Up
- Surf Gypsy Pop Border Print Halter Dress Swim Cover-Up
- Surf Gypsy Striped Tie-Front Ruffle Maxi Dress Swim Cover-Up
- Polo Ralph Lauren Printed Maxi Dress Cover-Up
- Tommy Bahama Bougainvillea Convertible Scarf Coverup Dress
The Classic Kaftan
- Bsubseach Women’s Swimwear – Turkish Kaftans
- Bsubseach Women Bathing Suit Cover-Up & Kaftan
- Jens Pirate Booty – Sunset Beach Kaftan
- Muted Surf Damask Shelby Kaftan Dress
Skirts to Cover-Up!
- LOFT Beach Floral Wrap Skirt
- LOFT Beach Tiered Maxi Skirt
- Women’s Plus Size Split Hem Maxi Beach Cover-Up Skirt
- Body Glove Women’s Floral Skirt Cover-up
- L-Space Mia Cover-Up Skirt
- Maaji Women’s Swimwear Cover-Up
The Stylish Sarong
- BCBGeneration Ombre Woven Sarong Midi Skirt
- Emilio Pucci – Albizia-print Cotton Sarong – Yellow
- Seafolly Women’s Cotton Gauze Sarong Cover-Up
- Poupette St. Barth Bonnie Printed Sarong
- Women’s Beach Scene Sheer Side-Tie Sarong
- Tanya Taylor Elora Cover-up Sarong
Some More Favorites
- Becca Beach Date Hooded T-Shirt Dress
- Gabi Printed V-Neck Cover-up Dress
- Embroidered Tassel V-Neck Cotton Tunic Dress
- Tory Burch Printed Beach Caftan
Do you wear a cover-up when you go to the beach or pool? I would love to know your favorite brands and styles. Please share with me in the comments at the bottom of this page!
If you enjoyed this article and want to read more, please subscribe. You will get each daily story delivered straight to your inbox.
Want to Learn How to Start a Blog?
Download my free eBook!
* Honey Good gets commissions for purchases made through links in this post.