With the passing of my dear mother two weeks ago, I am now more aware than ever of the importance of bonding with my family and leaving a legacy. When I think about what I want to leave behind, it isn’t frivolous items, but a lasting impression for my family to carry with them after I’m gone; and one of the best ways we can leave lasting memories is by bonding with the youngest generation – our grandchildren.
As your family expands, and you have the pleasure of receiving grandchildren into your life – cherish every moment. Little darlings can teach us so much about life and love! We also get the added benefit of enjoying little people that we aren’t also responsible for raising – let their parents do that! We get the fun experiences, the teaching moments, spoiling them with knowledge and experiences, and being sounding boards as they grow. Isn’t it such a pleasure?
It’s All About Moments
If you missed it, this past Tuesday was International Day of the Girl Child, and I took the time to write a letter to my granddaughters. Writing that letter made me ponder the tokens from my own life that I want them to have and share – ways that my own legacy will continue to live on when I’m no longer here. The passing of a loved one makes us all introspective and retrospective, but I think that can be harnessed for a great purpose.
I’m a firm believer that the greatest gifts in life are the monumental moments and lessons we pass down. You don’t need to be spoiling your grandchildren with toys and disposable items! Give them your energy, your stories, your life lessons!
If you’re looking for ways to connect with your grands, here are some of my favorite ways to create the memories they’ll carry for a lifetime.
Ways to Bond With Your Grandchildren
- Create one on one time with them
- Get crafty! Make messes.
- Be interested in their interests. Connect with them on their level!
- Ask questions. Not prodding ones, but inquisitive ones.
- Send surprises. Gift-giving, especially small and simple items, are an excellent way to let someone know you’re thinking of them.
- Call them before big things in their lives. Listen. Encourage. Only offer advice if it’s asked for.
- Take them on a trip! It can be as big as Paris or as small as the local zoo. The destination doesn’t matter as much as the focused time you share.
- Get online! Take it from me, your favorite grandma influencer, these kids want to be connected via the internet.
- Write your stories down! Share them!
Giving your grandchildren a peek into the beautiful chapters of your life and creating a deeper connection with them is invaluable! My book, Stories For My Grandchild – A Grandmother’s Journal, is the perfect multigenerational gift to leave behind your legacy. Your grandchildren will learn more about your family through your stories, and more importantly, about the values instilled generation after generation.
I know my book is an excellent way I bond with my grandchildren, and it is a great way for you to connect with your grands of all ages!
Celebrate your story, darlings.
What are your favorite ways to bond with your grandchildren? I’d love to hear them! Leave a comment below and let’s get the conversation started.