A Little Something Different
My darlings, I hope you had the most fabulous week. Do you celebrate American Thanksgiving? If you do, it’s coming up so very soon. I love a wonderful homecooked meal and being surrounded by great family and friends.
This weekend’s musings are a little different because I want to share with you a darling member of the Honey Good Network. What is the Honey Good Network (HGN)? HGN is a place where women can come together and bond in friendship. This social network is where you will make new friends through joining groups. There you will learn and explore new ideas, share interests, ask for help with challenges, and experience joy in connecting with others. It’s truly a wonderful place that I hope you will one day call a second home.
Without further ado, I want to introduce you to a valued leader and member of HGN. Once a month we will spotlight one networker who regularly adds her wise thoughts to our community conversation.
This month, we begin with Brooke Brown.
The Always Adventurous Brooke Brown
By Susan Berman Hammer
Community Manager of the Honey Good Network @Moxie68
We invited Brooke Brown, one of our outstanding and adventurous leaders of the Honey Good Network, to tell us a little bit about herself and what she likes most about our Network. She is also a founding member.
As one of our true Network “Superstars,” Brooke created and leads our popular “Lifestyle” group, one of 22 interest groups in which members find connection, friendship and empowerment through their common interests and experiences. (During the past year, we have all learned that we do, in fact, have more experiences and values in common than we do differences.)
“What I like most about our Network is the awesome women I have met,” she said.“This includes dear Honey who is so open and disarming; I love it!”
Childhood, College, Travel, Career, Family, Adventure
Brooke grew up on a farm in Connecticut and completed her college years in California. Then, like many of her Baby Boomer peers, she set out to travel the world with a backpack and an adventurous spirit. Throughout her adult life, she not only has traveled extensively throughout Europe, parts of Asia and Africa, but also raised a family and worked for 15 years (with some time off for kids) as a scientist in the Silicon Valley defense industry before she retired at age 58. After retirement, she and her husband relocated to Kauai, Hawaii for 10 years before they moved back to mainland California to be closer to their seven grandchildren. In Hawaii, she paddled outrigger canoes competitively. Three times, she was part of the Island Champion crew.
“When I met my husband in Silicon Valley, it was “love at first sight,” she continued. They have been married for 43 years, raised four children and now enjoy spending time with their Grands who range in age from one to 13. “We design camping adventures with our marvelous Grands, play golf and explore California’s amazing parklands,” the 71-year-old added.
More Interesting Morsels About Brooke
- Favorite sports: Paddling outriggers, golf and hiking.
- Favorite hobbies: Nature photography, fine art appreciation, gardening and Mah Jongg.
- The most courageous thing she’s ever done: Having my 4 children! Raising kids is not for the faint of heart!
- Who inspires her most: Eleanor Roosevelt comes to mind. I love the quotes: “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” and “Do one thing every day that scares you.”
- How she found Honey Good: I found Honey Good when I was doing a search for senior women on DuckDuckGo.com. I became enchanted with Honey while reading her life story. She also lived in Hawaii, so we seemed to be kindred spirits.
- When she joined our Network: I joined HGN in early January 2019 when it was still in Beta testing. (Consistent with her adventurous side, Brooke said that she was excited to be in on the ground floor of the undertaking and is enjoying the ride as the Network blooms.)
Thank you, Brooke, from the bottom of my heart for all that you do, and thank you to all of our dedicated Honey Good Network members and group leaders!
If you would like to join our private Network, please register and login at honeygoodnetwork.com. It’s free! Or, click the purple JOIN NETWORK button in the upper right corner of honeygood.com.
This Week’s Roundup of Blog Posts Include: