It’s Time to Relax, Darlings!
My darlings, I know that after a long week we often just want to relax. Who better to relax with than our favorite girlfriends?
I often find that after travel or a tumultuous week, a little time with my friends can make a world of difference. Girlfriends can provide solace when we are down, advice when we’re in our toughest spots or a consoling ear when we need someone to listen.
We are never too old for a night with our girlfriends. If you haven’t had a night in for a while, or you’re looking to make a network of friends, there are women waiting for you on MOXIE! Don’t be afraid to reach out. We all need a group of girlfriends, no matter what our age is.
However, darlings, if you’d rather have a night of self-care alone with your pup, that is fine too! Whatever you want to do, the world is your oyster and these ideas will be perfect for a relaxing night in, regardless of who is there with you.
Remember, you can make any of these things more elegant or casual, it’s very much up to you and your girlfriends, my sweet readers.
Easy and Delicious Snacks
After a long week, you may prefer ordering in, but if you’re like me, you always want to be the host with mostest! After a difficult week, you may want to cozy up with your girlfriends and watch a fun movie. What goes better with a film than popcorn, my darlings!
I came across a lovely idea for a popcorn bar in my search for fun popcorn ideas. I had never heard of it before and thought it was simple–something a lot of people don’t often see.
If you don’t like popcorn, my darlings, or if you’re looking for something more substantial, I have just the treat for you. I discovered these delectable looking hummus and avocado toasts with roasted tomatoes. They are a little more difficult than a popcorn bar but are oh so delicious. Find the recipe HERE.
Wine & Cocktails
If you like a good drink from time to time, a great time to break out a nice bottle of red or a fun cocktail is always with your girlfriends. Don’t worry if you’re not a big drinker, my darlings. I’ve found this article that gives you some ideas on how to enjoy a drink without alcohol. You can find it HERE.
If you’d like a fun and fashionable cocktail, I do enjoy something simple. For a little sweet and some bubbles, try this Strawberry Prosecco Sparkler. The ingredients are simple and the drinks are elegant.
- 6 sugar cubes
- Angostura bitters
- 750-milliliter bottle of Prosecco, champagne or other sparkling wine
- 4 thinly-sliced strawberries
- Drop a sugar cube into each of 6 glasses and douse with a few dashes of bitters. Pour Prosecco over top. Garnish with the sliced strawberries.
Here are a few selections of red Cabernets to enjoy as a nice glass of wine, darlings:
- Red Selection #3 from Bristol Farms
- Obsidian Ridge 2015
- Rolling Plains 2014 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
Face Mask Treatments
A girlfriends’ night in would not be complete without a little pampering. Aren’t I right, darlings? A new trend in the last few years has been simple sheet masks. I see them all the time now, especially on Instagram. Instead of going to the spa, you can bring the spa to you by visiting your local drug store or ordering ahead on Amazon.
This mask HERE comes in a pack of 12 and is good for anti-aging and hydration. They are simple and trust me, you’ll have a good laugh with your girlfriends. They are a great conversation starter and a fun group photo opportunity!
Shows & Movies to Enjoy Over 50
Lastly, the entertainment. Sometimes we talk all night during our girls nights. However, when you’d like to watch something romantic, funny, dramatic or all three, there are many options out there.
I often get asked what there is on Netflix for women over 50. There is a lot of content for us, my darlings; we simply need to search for it. Netflix has been gearing more towards our age group in the last few years, which is nice. Not to mention, they also have an expansive selection of films from the past that I always enjoy including Annie Hall and The Graduate. If you’re looking for something new, I’ve included a few selections below you can find on Netflix.
- Grace and Frankie: They’re not friends, but when their husbands leave them for each other, proper Grace and eccentric Frankie begin to bond.
- Wine Country: When longtime friends meet up for a wine-soaked birthday getaway in Napa Valley, their perfectly planned weekend turns messier by the minute.
- The Crown: When Queen Elizabeth’s father passed away, she inherited the throne at only 26 years old. This bio-drama follows the life of the leader after her wedding and coronation. The serious show gives the details behind the royal family and also shows a darker side of the royal responsibilities.
- Call the Midwife: A BBC period drama series about a group of nurse-midwives working in the East End of London in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
Enjoy Your Time With Friends
No matter what you do, my darlings, make it a fun and joyous time! Whatever that means for you, grab your girlfriends or your animal companion and enjoy a night in with good food and entertainment. You can’t go wrong.