Today, I’m sharing the best lipsticks for women over 50… and at all price points! But first, a thought: rules for women after 50 are basically made to be broken because life is really too short not to be bold, confident and you know my darlings, wear that red lipstick! Now, if you’re looking for a bold red red lipstick, I’ve covered that here. If you’re more into lighter and more neutral lipstick shades, then there is nothing wrong with that. As always, you do you!
Regardless of color, there is just something about a good lipstick that makes me feel proud, courageous and like I am ready to take on the world. If you don’t believe me, then take it from Elizabeth Taylor, “Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.” I dare you to try it and see how you feel with a bold lip… at any age!
The good news is that it’s just lipstick, pretty non-committal; if you don’t like it, then just wipe it off!
Lipstick is a beauty must! When we’re young, it’s often all about the color of the moment but as we mature, a great lipstick needs something we already have… staying power! Does that mean you need a pricey lipstick? Not at all, darlings. Quality comes in all types of lipstick cases so think of price like we think of our age — it’s just a number!
The best lipsticks for women over 50
I have compiled a list of some great brands to consider and split them up between two price points.
In terms of a lower price point, here are some quality, yet more affordable brands, all usually available at your local drugstore:
1. Maybelline: I love the Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lip Color line in Rich Rudy, and it’s just $7.99.
2. Covergirl: My favorite from this brand is the Outlast All Day Lipcolor in Ever Red-dy for $10.99.
3. L’Oréal: I like the Cinnamon Toast color for a darker hue from the Colour Riche Lipcolour line, and it’s only $8.99.
If you’re really looking for a lipstick splurge, these lipsticks are excellent, but will cost you a little extra. They are best found in department stores, other dedicated makeup stores and online:
1. Estée Lauder: The Pure Color Envy lipstick is excellent in all the colors and is $32 here.
2. Chanel: The Rouge Color line is my favorite and it’s so hydrating. It is $37 here.
3. Lancôme: I have found the best to be the Color Design Sensational Effects lipsticks. They come in several brilliant colors and are $23 here.
4. MAC Cosmetics in Twig: I once read a review that said this was the most universally flattering color in the entire MAC line. My editors love it and it’s a wonderful warm, pinkish brown shade. Get it here for $20.
4. And, if you watched my last Facebook live you know that I swear by Tom Ford. It’s my “signature” lip hue and, in my opinion, one of the very best lipsticks for women over 50. I love Tom Ford’s Casablanca. It is one of my favorite staples. I know it is a Tom Ford customer’s favorite staple in their make-up routine because it has not been discontinued.
If you enjoyed this story, please subscribe to my email list. Once a day, when I post a new story, you will receive it in your inbox
If you have something to say about the best lipsticks for women over 50… let’s talk! Share your favorite brand and hue either in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, GrammaGood, LLC may receive compensation.
I’ve been using Covergirl Outlast for years and love it too! They used to make a shade called Coffee Satin…my absolute favorite. But, they discontinued it. Why is it every time you find something you love and it works, they quit making it?? Sigh…
I may give your other suggestions a try. I really love that L’Oréal shade you like too.
Thanks for sharing all your finds!
I love to share my finds. I have the same problem. Every time I fall in love with a perfume, it is discontinued. The store told me it was a tariff. Hana Mori Hanae was shipped from Japan. Warmly, Honey
I love anything BEAUTYCOUNTER…especially the lipsticks and eyeshadows. The damaging chemical contents in so many makeup lines is alarming . Many times when I must quickly get out the door I put on a little lip gloss from Beautycounter and off I go.:)
Thank you for your comment. Most appreciated. Warmly, Honey
I am 56 and I am discovering that the darker lipsticks do not look so good anymore…they tend to draw more attention to my thinning lips and can bleed outside the lips…nothing says “I’m trying to hang on to my youth” more than “drawing” outside the lip line to make them appear bigger, especially with dark lipstick. In photos its not as noticeable but in person it looks bad! Also, I use less mascara, but curl them and use a lighter shade. Too much eye makeup only emphasizes the lines. Personally, I think it’s nice now to not have to “fuss” over my makeup….less is more at 56!
You are so young. You can buy a liner so your lipstick does not run. You do not have to fuss. Just have fun. Warmly, Honey