Let’s Talk Makeup!
Christmas shopping for my daughter became a bit more challenging four years ago.
I used to enjoy picking out stocking stuffers like nail polish, lipstick, and Disney Princess Christmas tree ornaments (yes, she still loves Disney) knowing they’d definitely be a hit. But when she landed her dream job writing for an online beauty site—and was regularly inundated with beauty products—(tough break, right?), my regular list of “can’t fail” stocking stuffer ideas diminished dramatically.
But when I walked into one of her favorite stores three Christmas seasons ago and immediately came face-to-face with a sale rack, my heart started to beat a little faster. I was halfway through the rack when I saw it… a really cute moto jacket in one of her favorite colors, but there was only one. Holding my breath, I looked at the tag and couldn’t believe my eyes. Yes, it was her size and it was 60% off.
Scoring the perfect gift for a favorite someone at a bargain price… Well, need I say more? And I have a hunch that you too most likely have a vivid memory of a similar experience.
Nothing quite tops a shopping experience like this… but something that comes close, at least for me, is finding great drugstore makeup products that rival (and sometimes surpass) high-end makeup products.
Let’s Create an Affordable Makeup Look!
So I thought it would be fun to create a makeup look with some great, affordable drugstore products in order to share some of my great “finds” with you.
Here are my drugstore finds which I’ll demonstrate in the video:
- Essence I Love Stage Eye Shadow Base
- Elf Brow Pencil in “Taupe”
- Almay Brow Styler in “Medium Brown”
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in “Light” and “Brightening”
- Pixie by Petra Corrector Concentrate in “Brightening Peach”
- Pixie by Petra Flawless Beauty Primer
- No 7 Lift and Luminate Triple Action Serum Foundation
- Wet ‘n Wild Megaglo Illuminateur (stick cream) 800 (When the Nude Strikes) (Mentioned) Wet ‘n Wild Megaglow Liquid Highlighter in “Halo, Goodbye”
- Wet ‘n Wild Megaglo Blush
- Pixie by Petra On The Glow Blush in “Fleur”
- Juvia’s Place Warrior II Eyeshadow Palette
- Colourpop Eyeshadow Palette in “Going Coconuts”
- Physicians Formula Bronzer in “Sculpting”
- Physicians Formula Ultimate Murumuru Butter Collection Limited Edition
- L’Oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise Mascara in “Mystic Black”
- Elf Lip Lock Crayon (discontinued)
- Revlon Colorstay Lip Liner in “Wine”
- L’Oreal Matte Lipstick 711 “At the Drop of a Matte”
- L’Oreal Matte Lipstick 707 “Matte-jestic”
- NYX Aqua Luxe Lipstick “Pink Jewel” (Discontinued)
- Cover Girl Lip Lava in Violet (Discontinued)
I hope you’ll join me on the video to see how the look came together.
Be sure to check out Elise’s YouTube channel which specifically focuses on makeup tips, techniques, and product reviews for those of us 50+. Don’t forget to subscribe!
Elise Marquam-Jahns is a professional, working makeup-artist who is passionate about helping women 50+ get their glow back. In addition to her work as a makeup artist for a major cosmetics line, she founded Boomer and Beyond Beauty and recently launched her “Boomer and Beyond Beauty with Elise” YouTube channel for women 50+. Elise is also an author and speaker and hosts Normandale Community College’s monthly Learning Well Edge Talk Radio show where she interviews experts in the field of health and wellness.